Very often, the only way to get a quality in reality is to start behaving as if you had it already. That is why children's games are so important. They are always pretending to be grown-ups - playing soldiers, playing shop. But all the time, they are hardening their muscles and sharpening their wits so that the pretence of being grown-up helps them to grow up in earnest.

~C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity

Saturday, April 30, 2011

Taking Time to Grow Up

Growing up is not – as I thought when I was a child – something you do until you finish school, get a job, move out of your parents’ house, and head out to make a life of your own.  Growing up is a much longer, much slower, process.  It is not something that we can rush through.  It requires experiences.  Growing up is joyful, and it is painful.  It teaches you beautiful things, but along the way you discover darkness and sadness as well. 

When Oliver was born, we started talking constantly about how quickly he was changing and how quickly he was “growing up.”  We were right – at a little over two he is nothing like the newborn we took home from the hospital.  But right from the start I began to realize that I was changing too.  Each day was about learning how to take care of a baby and somehow keep taking care of myself and keep caring for my relationships with my husband, my family, my friends, and God.  I’ve been doing my own growing up right along with Oliver.  

And so the seeds for this blog began to grow too.  I started noticing how many people around me are still “growing up,” and I’ve realized I never want to stop growing up.  I want to be like my grandparents who are still learning and trying new things in their 70s and 80s.  Sure, this blog will have a lot on it about what Oliver is doing as he grows up.  But I hope it will also be about a lot more.

No comments:

Post a Comment